Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Exploring the Roles of Waitressses and Waiters


Week of March 3, 2014
            This week, children were given materials to encourage exploration of the roles of waiters and waitresses.  The children and I took turns pretending to be customers and waiters.  The children enjoyed choosing items from a menu while I brought their order to them using a serving tray.  They also enjoyed putting in their orders for more food and drinks as well as pretending to cut the food.  Some children decided to take on the role of a waiter or waitress after observing what I was doing.  They enjoyed trying to balance cups and various foods on the serving trays and fulfilling their “customer’s” request for ketchup, sugar, forks, etc.

As I observed children during this activity, I noticed they enjoyed bringing their customers coffee from the coffee machine.  Not only have I observed them do so during this lesson, but also other times during free play.  I am curious as to what they actually know about how a coffee maker works.  I would like to continue this exploration of dramatic play between customers and waitresses by setting up a coffee shop.  What do we need to make coffee? How does coffee become a liquid? Who makes coffee in a coffee shop? Who brings coffee to the customer?


No comments:

Post a Comment